By Mychal Hunter
It has been a while since we talked recruiting. I commented on Pitt’s most recent commits earlier this week and figured I would see what some of the other programs around the league are up to. This entry is admittedly limited, but this stuff is hard to come by sometimes.
- While at McCamish Pavilion last weekend, myself and some others were able to identify Asanti Price, KD Johnson and Deebo Coleman. Price is the shooter that the Yellow Jackets desperately need and Johnson is a gritty, stud point guard who is tough on both ends. Johnson didn’t appear to be there in an official capacity and actually left before the game was over. He may have just been taking in a game on his own. Coleman is possibly the biggest name of the group, a 5*, knock down shooter in the 2021 class.
- Terquavion Smith, a 6’3 shooting guard out of Farmville NC in the 2021 class, has committed to North Carolina State. He currently doesn’t have a rating on 247sports, but if I had to guess I would say he will end up a 4 star recruit.
- Cam Hayes, a 4* point guard out of Greensboro NC will be on campus at North Carolina State today. He ranked #16 in the 2021 class.
- Precious Achiuwa will take his official visit to UNC on Senior night on 3/9/19. 2020 5* small forward Zhaire Williams will also be on hand that evening.
- RJ Hampton, the #5 recruit in the 2020 class, named Duke in his final five on 2/7. The Blue Devils are joined by Memphis, TCU, Kansas and of course, Kentucky.
- 4* point guard Jalen Cone visited North Carolina State on 2/5 for their game against Virginia Tech. This was the game that the Wolfpack put up 24 points. The Hokies are currently favored in the crystal ball for the top 100 player in the 2020 class.
- According Zags Blog, Harlond Beverly has been offered by Iowa State and Indiana. In the article he says he is still considering Virginia, Baylor, Kansas and Xavier. Beverly is a 4* combo guard out of Montverde Academy.
- Christian Brown, a top 60’ish player in the 2019 class is still available and has a solid chance of ending up in the ACC. Clemson and North Carolina State have been involved for a long time, but now it appears that Jeff Capel has Pitt deep in on the 6’6 swing man as well. Brown is a solid athlete, but isn’t a great shooter. Pitt landed a shooter this week though in Drumgoole so it’s not a big deal. If Capel is somehow able to add CB to this class, that is a major win in Pitt’s staffs first full recruiting cycle.
- According to Stockrisers, Nimari Burnett is in Louisville today for their game with Virginia. Burnett is the #25 recruit in the 2020 class
- According to Kentucky Sports Radio, Keion Brooks cancelled his visit to Michigan State after being in Lexington for a visit when Kentucky defeated #1 Tennessee. Brooks is also a priority for North Carolina, but it would appear that the Wildcats now have the upper hand for the #23 recruit in the 2019 class.