So we are currently in the early signing period, as of right now there have not been any surprises. All verbals have been honored as far as I know. Noone has flipped, or done anything shady. Outside the ACC, I think the only guy to not sign his NLI is Brandon Williams who is verbally committed to Arizona. Williams will not sign in order to protect himself from any NCAA restrictions later if Arizona’s trouble with the FBI becomes something that will end up with sanctions against the program. Smart move by that young man.
That is one thing I cannot stand about College Football, kids in that world have no idea what the word “committed” means. Kids flipping their decisions on signing day during the ESPN broadcast drives me nuts. It also leads me to believe that whatever shady business college basketball might have going on, it pales in comparison to the horse shit that goes on in the world of college football. I think that’s why I prefer the NFL to the college football. At least the pro athletes basically admit that they are scumbags while the NCAA and Universities involved just deny deny deny.
Alright so let’s take a look at some things I saw over the past couple weeks.
- 2020 Dwon Odom reportedly holds offers from GT, VT and Virginia
- Clemson visited 2019 Jaylin Williams, an undersized PF out of Virginia. He also currently holds offers from FSU, GT, VT and Wake.
- Jared Jones has reportedly heard from Clemson, Wake, NC State and GT. Jones is a former Auburn commit in the 2019 class.
- UNC is going hard after 5 star Cassius Stanley. The 6’5 shooting guard out of California is a top 15 recruit and is being pursued by all the usual suspects. NC State has also offered.
- UNC and Duke were both in to see Zion Williamson recently.
- Josh Green has been offered by UVA. The 6’5 4 star guard has taken UV to Arizona and also holds a Kansas offer. Duke and Wake are also listed to have offered.
- CJ Walker took an unofficial visit to FSU and has reportedly has interest from Wake, GT and Notre Dame.
- Blake Hinson reportedly holds interest from FSU and Miami. May be in either the 2018 or the 2019 class. He has yet to decide.
- Syracuse has reportedly began recruiting 7’1 Majur Majak out of the Sudan. He is currently playing in Roselle Catholic in New Jersey.
- Clemson is waiting to hear on whether or not they will receive an official visit from Zion Williamson
- Josh Hall has garnered interest from NC State and Wake
- Wake and NC State were both in to see Jalen Lecque.
- EJ Montgomery, the former Auburn commit, has heard from Wake, Virginia, GT and Clemson. Montgomery is a native of Georgia and played at powerhouse Wheeler. The 6’10 swing man is a 4 star prospect and top 40 recruit.
- 5 star Addison Patterson has reportedly heard from FSU, GT, Notre Dame and Wake Forest. The 2020 recruit is a 6’6 off guard/wing and a top 15 recruit. He currently holds offers from Florida, Oregon and Arizona State.
- Duke has landed the #1 player in the 2018 class, RJ Barrett. Barrett joins Tre Jones and Cam Reddish. All 3 are top 9 recruits. Barrett is an incredible player out of Canada. I was fortunate to see him play in the U19 games this past summer. He will be an instant star in Durham.
- Joey Baker (2019) has committed to Duke. The 5 star small forward is the first commit for Coach K in the 2019 class.
- Saddiq Bey has committed to NC State as anticipated. That gives Kevin Keatts three 4 star recruits and a 3 star recruit in the 2018 class.
- Jamie Lewis, a former NC State commit has committed to Danny Manning and the Demon Deacons. Lewis left the Pack to avoid the two point guard system that is becoming more popular. Expect him to step in when Bryant Crawford turns pro after the season.
- Keldon Johnson has committed to Kentucky. NC State was in Johnson’s final four. I wonder if the Pack were really a contender after signing Bey a week or so before the Johnson commitment.
- Keyontae Johnson has committed to Florida. VT and GT were in his final four. GT was no longer an option after they received a commitment from Khalid Moore a couple weeks ago.
- Mike Sagay is transferring out of Boston College. Sagay played in 15 games for the Eagles in 2016-17 and averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game in 4.5 minutes a night.
- Romeo Langford has removed UNC from consideration and cut his list to three. Kansas Indiana and Vanderbilt are the last three. Expect an Indiana commitment at some point.
- Simi Shittu cancelled his OV to UNC recently. Vanderbilt may be putting together a huge class if they are able to land both he and Darius Garland. If they somehow land Langford as well, that is a top 3 class in 2018.