Beautiful weekend in the triangle, and we are one day closer to college basketball. That first day of games has some really interesting match-ups. The major game for the ACC will be UCLA and Georgia Tech going at it in China. Virginia will also host UNCG in what could be an early test for the Cavaliers. Around the country Missouri and their ultra talented freshman class will host Iowa State in Steve Prohm’s first game of the post Monte Morris era, and a game that really interests me is ETSU visiting Northern Kentucky.
- VT has offered 2019 wing Au’diese Toney while he was on campus this weekend. The Hokies also hosted Jon Kabongo, Aundre Hyatt, Kobe and Keyshawn Langley and Bruce Guy along with Toney.
- Duke did a bit of showing off this weekend hosting a ridiculous six 5 star recruits for Cameron Craziness. Zion Williamson was joined by 2019 recruits Matt Hurt, Joey Baker and Armando Bacot, as well as 2020 recruits Isaiah Todd and RJ Hampton.
- Zimife Nwokeji now holds offers from Notre Dame, GT, VT and FSU. Nwokeji is a top 70 recruit in the 2019 class and is seeing his recruitment start to take off in recent weeks.
- Khalid Moore took an official visit to Georgia Tech this week. Moore is considered a strong GT lean. I was actually kind of surprised he didn’t commit on the visit.
- Armando Bacot released his top 10 this week which includes Duke, UNC, VT and UVA.
- Moses Brown took an official visit to FSU this weekend. Brown is considered a strong Maryland lean.
- Matt Hurt was also in Chapel Hill for an unofficial visit this weekend.
- FSU offered 2020 guard Moses Moody
- Clemson was in to see Jaylin Williams this week
- UVA was in to see Nobal Days
- Wake Forest has offered Omar Payne
- Syracuse offers 2020 post player Elijah Hutchins-Everett
- Notre Dame hosted Hunter Dickinson, Justin Moore, and Dominiq Penn for unofficial visits. Dickinson and Penn are both of in the 2020 class, Dickinson a center and Penn a point guard. Shooting guard Justin Moore is in the 2019 class. It should be noted that Penn is also the son of Ohio State legend Scoonie Penn.
- FSU received a commitment for their 2020 class with Naseem Khalid. Khalid is a 6-1 point guard out of South Carolina.
- Jericole Hellems has committed to NC State giving Coach Kevin Keatts a trio of 4 star recruits coming in next summer.
- Brendan Paul has committed to Syracuse as a PWO
- Darius Days has committed to LSU over UNC
- Ayo Dosunmu has committed to Illinois over Wake Forest
- Will Richardson has cut his list to 3 and removed all ACC schools from consideration. Oregon, Gonzaga and UGA are his finalists
- Nate Roberts committed to Washington over Nebraska and Syracuse.
- Duke and Miami target Emmit Williams was arrested this week and charged with sexual assault and false imprisonment. He is being held without bail. I would imagine neither program will continue to pursue him.
Continuing last weeks addition of team rundowns and where each team stands with regards to the 2018 class, here is the roster situation on another 1/3 of the league.
LOUISVILLE – Current Scholarship number = -3
With the FBI investigation looming over the program Louisville has lost three commits, and been removed from consideration by about a half dozen other high profile recruits. They do have 3 scholarships available, but I would expect them to put that them their pocket til the spring.
MIAMI – Current scholarship number = -3
The Canes are another program being affected by the FBI program. Though not to the extent of Louisville, it did cost them at least the opportunity to sign Nassir Little already. They currently do not have a commitment for the 2018 class, but they are in on some very high level recruits.
NC State – Current scholarship number = -1
As mentioned above, the Wolf Pack just added another good piece to next years class in Jericole Hellems. Hellems is a 6’6 wing that can play multiple positions on the floor. I would expect Keatts to put the last ship in his pocket unless Keldon Johnson wants to come, but I don’t see that happening.
UNC – Current scholarship number = -1
UNC is now out from under the anvil of the academic fraud investigation and is putting in some serious work. They already have one top 10 player in Nassir Little and are looking to add another top 15 guy in either Romeo Langord or Simi Shittu or possibly both. I think it is safe to assume you are going to see some attrition with this roster given the abundance of talent on the roster that play the wings. Next year they will have 6 players rostered that play either the 2 or the 3 spot.
NOTRE DAME – Current scholarship number = -2
2018 is a big year for the Irish as both Colson and Farrell graduate. They currently have commits from 4 recruits in the 2018 class, three of them are 4 star guys who should be able to contribute immediately. I would expect them to target a big man in the late signing period.
That’s it for today gents. Fantasy Football plays today:
Cash games: Mariota and McKinnon.
GPPS: Bennie Fowler III and CJ Beathard