By Mychal Hunter
A lot of things happening in the recruiting world these days with the 2018 official visits taking place.
I would like to quickly acknowledge the ridiculous mistake I made with the original Virginia Tech preview. That was foolish and that was my bad.
Exciting weeks ahead!
- RJ Barrett, the best player in the 2018 class, will visit Duke this upcoming weekend (9/15). He took an OV to UK on 9/1
- Isaiah Turner (2019) offered by GT and took a UV on 9/4. Turner is a 6’5 SG out of Florida who also holds offers from UAB and UNF.
- Jaden Springer (2020) SG out of Charlotte was at Wake Forest for an UV this week. A top 40 recruit nationally.
- Ashton Hagans (2019) picked up an offer from VT. The five star PG recently visited UGA and Auburn.
- 2020 recruit Hunter Dickinson will take an UV to Wake on 9/30
- 2019 Kira Lewis was on campus at GT on 9/3
- Landers Nolley has cut his list to 8 and four ACC schools are still in the running. GT, VT, FSU, and NC State all move forward in the 6’7 sharpshooters bracket style elite eight. Nolley has also adjusted his official visits list….again. On 8/24 he released an edit on his twitter that showed he would visit Illinois (which he has completed) UGA, UConn, Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech. Yesterday, he removed UConn and Oklahoma State, and said he would visit home state schools GT and Georgia State. That makes 4 schools that Nolley has said were receiving OV’s, (Georgetown, NC State, UConn and OK State) that he has backed away from. His recruitment continues to be one of the most intriguing of the 2018 recruits. He also mentioned on Twitter he is planning to commit on Halloween.
- Nate Hinton will visit FSU on 9/16. The big CG is one of my picks to blow up in his senior season. He played in the back court with Landers Nolley for Team Loaded NC this summer.
- Nate Laszewski is on his OV to ND this weekend. Will visit Wake next weekend and UNC the following weekend.
- Mike Devoe and Isaiah Mucius will both take their OV’s to Wake Forest next weekend (9/15)
- Zion Williamson took an Unofficial Visit to Clemson this weekend (9/8) and was joined by five star guards Devon Dotson and Jalen Lecque. A huge weekend for Brad Brownwell. (ETA: The staff offered Lecque on the visit)
- Nassir Little took his official visit to UNC this weekend. (9/8)
- Jalen Carey took his official visit to Syracuse this weekend and was accompanied by 5 star Syracuse commit Darius Bazley.
- According to WholeHogSports.com GT is in the running for one of the 2 remaining official visits with 2018 shooting guard Keonte Kennedy out of Texas.
- Manny Bates took his official visit to NC State this weekend. He was also offered by Boston College this past week. BC seems a little late to the party considering he has already cut his list multiple times, but, whatever.
- Tony Bennett and UVA have offered 2019 five star post player Jeremiah Robinson.
- Jamie Lewis, a top 100 player in the 2018 class has de-committed from NC State. In an NBCSN article Lewis stated he was most interested in being a lead guard and not playing in a back court with two point guards. He will still consider NC State in the process. Lewis had taken unofficial visits to Wake Forest and Kansas prior to committing to the Wolfpack.
- Louisville will host 5 star Balsa Koprivica for an unofficial visit on 9/15. The top 15 recruit in the 2019 class also holds offers from UVA, Miami, VT and Wake.
- Ayo Dosunmu will host multiple programs for in home visits starting on 9/11. Wake will get an in home along with Illinois, Memphis and Xavier.
- GT has offered 2020 recruit Elijah Wood, a 6’5 point guard is a 4 star recruit out of Maryland.
- Euro big man Matthias Tass will take an official visit to GT on 9/17. The 6’10 220lb post will also take a OV to St. Marys on 9/19.
- Isaac Okoro, Sharife Cooper, Jared Jones and Babatunde Akingbola all took unofficial visits to NC State this past week. All are teammates on the Nike sponsored, Athletes of Tomorrow AAU program that runs on the EYBL circuit out of GA. Okoro and Cooper are both top 40 players, while Jones is top 130 player and Akingbola a top 200 player, all in the 2019 class.
- Jordan Meka (2020) and Stanley Eze (2019) both took unofficial visits to GT this week
- UNC is hosting Armando Bacot and Wendell Moore along with Nassir Little this weekend (9/8)
- Saddiq Bey took his official visit to ND this weekend (9/8)
- Jake Forrester has cut his list down to final five. Pitt and VT are joined by Xavier, Seton Hall and Indiana. Pitt will host on 9/15 and VT will host on 9/29
- Immanuel Quickley cancelled his visit to Miami due to Hurricane Irma.
- Keldon Johnson made an official visit to NC State this weekend. The 5 star guard visited Texas last weekend and will visit FSU on 9/16.
- Danny Manning was in to see Jaiden Delaire this week. The 6’8 swingman is a top 150 recruit in the 2019 class
- UVA hosted Casey Morsell this weekend and offered him during the visit. Morsell is a 4 star shooting guard in the 2019 class.
- Notre Dame hosted Robby Carmody, Prentiss Hubb and Dane Goodwin along with Nate Laszewski on his Official Visit this weekend. All three are already Fighting Irish commitments.
- Drue Dinnon will visit Pitt along with Zion Griffin on 9/15.
- Xavier Johnson had recently released his top 6 that included GT, Washington, Creighton, USF, Georgetown and Nebraska. This past week Creighton received a commit at Johnson’s position (Max Zegarowski), and yesterday Washington also took a commitment from guard Elijah Hardy that puts their scholarship position for next year at -2. Johnson will visit GT on 9/22.
- Jimmy Nichols has committed to Providence. Miami was in the final 3 for the top 200, South Carolina native.
- George Conditt cut his list to 3 and removed both GT and VT. Final 3 is Iowa St, New Mexico and Illinois
- Jericole Hellems has been bumped up to a 4 star prospect according to 247sports. The 6’6 forward from the 2018 class currently has a final 7 set and ACC programs GT, NC State and Virginia Tech are all on it. He took an OV to NC State on 8/25.
- According to Midwest Hoops Spotlight, 4 star swingman Talen Horton Tucker will be taking all 5 of his official visits starting this fall and may not cut his list again before committing. The 6’5 small forward has most recently cut his list to 13 including Florida State and Georgia Tech.
- Romeo Langford has scheduled a visit to IU during Hoosier Hysteria. The 5 star shooting guard recently cut his list to 7 including Louisville and UNC.
- Buddy Boeheim has committed to Syracuse and will join the program as a walk-on. The 6-5 sniper joins Darius Bazley in the 2018 class. Boeheim is a 2 star recruit that is a very good shooter and Coach Boeheims son. Hopefully he doesn’t suffer the wrath of ridiculous fans like Bryce Alford and Cullen Neal did while playing for their fathers.
Enjoy football today. My picks: Cardinals to cover on the road. McCoy in DFS.