By Mychal Hunter
Just a bunch of quick hitters today. A couple of commitments to note and another that will be happening sometime this afternoon. A thought on the most interesting cut list going on this year as well.
- Notre Dame and Mike Brey have thrown their hat in the ring for 6’9 PF Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. According to 247sports Johnson is the #18 ranked player in the 2019 class and a 5* prospect. The Kansas City native has a long list of suitors including all the usual suspects. This actually came out around 8/3. Missed it on last weeks roundup.
- Jared Butler: a 6’2 180# guard in the 2018 class cut his list to six including Tony Bennett and UVA. The top 100 guard recently finished up an EYBL session averaging 13.6/4.0/4.4.
- Xavier Johnson (2018): Cut his list to 6 including GT and also has a OV set up to Atlanta on 9/22. The Arlington VA native also named Washington, USF, Georgetown, Creighton and Nebraska.
- Ayo Dosunmu (2018): The tall lanky PG named a top 11 including NC State and Wake Forest. The 4*, top 40 recruit from Morgan Park in Chicago is considered a heavy Illinois lean.
- Darius Days (2018): The Gainesville Florida PF cut his list to 11 including UNC and Louisville. A top 80 recruit, Days surprisingly did not include Florida in his final 11.
- Noah Locke (2018): The number 76 player in the class has cut his list to 8 including the Virginia Cavaliers. One of the finalists, Florida, has scheduled an official already.
- Kristian Sjolund (2018): A 6’8 Norwegian by way of Texas, Sjolund is a sniper and as of recently is being tracked by a lot of schools. He received an offer from GT and was on campus this weekend for an official visit.
- Khalif Battle (2018) : Brother of current Syracuse starter Tyus Battle, Khalif confirmed via twitter that he received an offer from both Syracuse and Miami in July
- Eric Ayala (2018): The IMG Academy 4* guard cut his list to nine including Syracuse and Miami. Orange fans are hot and heavy for this guy. The 6’5 combo guard would no doubt look great next to Jalen Carey if the Orange were to land both.
- Saddiq Bey (2018): Shortly after his UV to Pitt last week, the Panthers made the final 6, which also includes NC State. The 6’7, 4* wing also held offers from GT, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech.
- Nassir Little(2018): The 6’7 forward now set up his 2nd official visit since releasing his top five. UNC is now scheduled to host the top 12 player nationally from Florida on 9/8. Updating a previous post: GT will host on 8/25.
- Dwayne Cohill (2018): The #82 overall player in next years class has scheduled an official visit to Virginia Tech on 10/20. He has a final 10 that also includes Clemson and Pitt (UV in June) though the only other official that has been set up is to Ohio St.
- UVA point guard prospect and top 100 player, AJ Green has decided to attend Northern Iowa where his father is an assistant coach.
A couple of commitments and a scheduled commitment to note this week as well.
- Wynston Tubbs (2018): a 6’2 190lb 3 star prospect has committed to Boston College. A nice liking shooter, Tubbs recently wrapped up an EYBL session with Team Melo.
- Jeremiah Francis (2019): 9 days after officially offering the Ohio point guard the Tar Heels received his commitment. Damn it must be nice to be a blue blood.
- Tre Jones will release his decision today (Sunday). I fully expect it to be Duke, because, well, they’re Duke and they get what the want and Coach K probably called Tre and said that his commitment would really help him recover from his upcoming knee replacement. He’s a cheeky bastard that Coach K, gotta watch him.
Of course I couldn’t do a recruiting roundup without a little bracket madness in August. Landers Nolleys’ legend continues to grow with the creative way he is cutting his list. The first round of cuts have concluded.
Five ACC schools move on, and predictably, so has UConn and Georgia. This weeks prediction: Georgia St knocks off Clemson.
In an interesting story this week, Darius Bazley has set up an official visit to Syracuse for 9/8-9/9. The interesting part is that the top 15 player in 2018 has already committed to play for Syracuse. Each recruit is allowed five official visits where the school can pick up the tab for dinners, transportation etc. Since Bazley already loves Syracuse and is a very (very) good player, the Syracuse staff is going to pair him up with potential point guard Jalen Carey on his official visit. I’m sure this happens all the time but I found it interesting and clever.
I suppose that will do it. Unless you want to hear about Kenny Williams recruiting Armando Bacot to UNC openly on twitter (he is) (They’re both Richmond natives), or the entire 2017 GT recruiting class trying to land Landers Nolley and Nassir Little (they are), or Andrew Slater recently changing his pick for 2018 potential OAD center Moses Brown. He’s the only one that’s changed, but Slater is also very good.
I have to cut the grass. Later.